Bought a new Galaxy Watch or need to factory reset your old one? Here’s how to backup and restore your data first.
Technology moves fast. It can be hard to keep up if you’re switching or upgrading to newer devices, especially smartphones or smartwatches. If you are using a Galaxy smartwatch, you can easily create a backup of your data and restore it when needed.
You want to stay up to date with your devices and make sure you regularly back up your data. Let’s take a look at how you can backup and restore your data on your Samsung Galaxy Watch.
If you recently upgraded to the Galaxy Watch, you can follow this guide on how to set up your Samsung Galaxy Watch. To get started with backing up your data, you’ll need to install the Galaxy Wearable app on your smartphone. You’ll also want to enable Bluetooth and have a working Wi-Fi connection. We’ll be using a Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 for this guide, but the instructions will be the same for other models.
How to backup your Galaxy Watch data with Samsung Cloud
With Samsung Cloud, you can easily back up your Samsung phone, tablet, or smartwatch, and sync and access your data using your Samsung account across multiple devices. You can do it manually or use the automatic backup feature.
Back up your data manually
To manually back up data, make sure your phone and watch are connected to a Wi-Fi network and Bluetooth is enabled. Now follow the steps below:
- On your smartwatch, swipe down to access the quick dashboard settings.
- Tap on settings (the gear icon) > Accounts and backup. Check that you are signed in to your Samsung account.
- Your Samsung account will appear. Then scroll down and click on show on phone. You will need to complete the setup process on your smartphone.
On your connected smartphone, go to the Samsung Cloud section and tap backup data.
- Finally, select the items you want to back up and tap Copy now. Please note that images and audio files will not be backed up to Samsung Cloud.
Enable automatic backup for your smartwatch
One of the most useful features is the automatic backup function. With this enabled, your Galaxy Watch data will be automatically backed up every 24 hours. Here’s how this works:
- To use the automatic backup function, follow steps 1 to 3 above.
- Then, in the Samsung Cloud section, just turn on the slider to automatic backup.
- However, for the feature to work, your connected phone will need a battery charge of at least 30%. Similarly, your Galaxy Watch should have a 15% battery level.
How to restore data on your Galaxy Watch
To restore data after setting up your new device (or after doing a factory reset), follow these steps:
- On your connected smartphone, open the Galaxy Wearable app. Go to Watch settings > Accounts and backup > Restore data.
- Select your device from the available options.
- Check and select the data you want to restore.
- Tap on the Restore option.
How to reset your Galaxy Watch
If you need to connect your smartwatch to a new smartphone device, you can reset your watch directly or using the Galaxy Wearable app, after backing up your watch data to Samsung Cloud. To reset your watch directly, follow the steps below:
- On your smartwatch, swipe down to access the quick dashboard.
- Go to Settings > Generaland touch Restart.
- You will be redirected to a screen asking you to backup your data before restarting your watch. Tap Support if you want to save a copy of your data, or touch Restart to confirm.
To reset your watch using the Galaxy Wearable app:
- On your smartphone, launch the companion app and navigate to Watch Settings > General.
- If you want to back up your data first, select backup data or touch Restart.
How to backup and restore your data with Samsung Smart Switch
With the Samsung Smart Switch app, you can back up and restore data to a target Samsung Galaxy device using a wireless connection or USB data cable. However, depending on your model, this process may only work on selected Samsung Galaxy devices.
If your device is compatible, you will need to install Smart Switch on your smartwatch and on your connected Galaxy phone. Next, launch the Galaxy Wearable app and navigate to Accounts and Backup > Smart Switch. You can then follow the onscreen instructions to back up and restore your data.
Don’t forget to backup your smartwatch data
It’s quite easy to quickly backup and restore your data with a couple of simple steps on your watch. We hope this guide helps you to back up your watch easily.
Just make sure to back up and save a copy of your data from time to time for all your devices. It will be well worth your time and save you a lot of hassle when you are setting up a new device or doing a factory reset.