Run intervals allow you to add walking breaks into your runs, which can help you on your journey to increase endurance and distance. With a Garmin sports watch, you can do this without constantly looking at your watch by setting run intervals. The watch will tell you exactly when to run and when to enjoy a break to walk. Here’s how you can set up custom interval training on your Garmin watch so you can focus on what matters most: your run.
About interval training
Breaking your workout down into smaller chunks is a popular tactic, as evidenced by the many apps for interval training. It’s a useful way to stay focused and avoid becoming over-fatigued during a demanding workout.
The same logic applies to execution, too. Galloway’s run-walk-run method is a popular guideline, and there are many more training programs that schedule a walking break into your run. By taking breaks, you can reduce overall fatigue and potentially prevent overuse injuries.
Manually tracking interval runs on a Garmin watch means keeping a close eye on the time and pressing the behind button to record each transition, which can get annoying. Here’s how to automate the process.
Setting Run Intervals on Your Garmin Watch
Current Forerunner watches have an option for interval training, with some slight differences between models. as useful TRIAX Performance YouTube video displays, navigating to the interval screen on your watch takes a few moments. Here’s how to set intervals on some of the more common models.
Follow these steps for Forerunner 945/945 LTE, Forerunner 255/255S/255 Music/255 S Music, and Forerunner 955:
- First press the button Beginning button, then choose the To run activity.
- hold the Until button.
- navigate to Training screen, then intervals. (You may need to visit a structured repetitions screen.)
- Paste Beginningafter Edit.
- Create your race option (by distance or time) in the Interval screen. Then do the same with your Break screen. There is also a To repeat option to create a series of interval sets for your workout.
- Once everything is set up, select the behind button.
Here’s how to create an interval workout in Forerunner 245/245 Music and Forerunner 745:
- Select the Beginning button, choose To runand hold the Until button.
- From here select Training > intervals > Edit > Interval > Writes.
- Choose Distance, Houreither Opened interval options If you choose Distance or Time, select Duration to set the chosen time period or distance.
- Tap on the check mark.
- hit the behind button, then Breakand enter the chosen distance or time for the recovery period here. (an open The option is also available.)
- Select the check mark and you are ready to go.
fēnix 7S, 7, 7X
To create your own interval sets for these models, follow these steps:
- Press Beginning and navigate to the To run section. press the Menu button, then go to Training > intervalsand finally touch Edit. (You may need to visit a structured repetitions menu too).
- From there, you can modify your Interval and Rest durations, as well as select the number of repetitions.
- Tap on the behind button when finished.
You can see the steps in action in this SportsTechGuides YouTube video.
vívoactive watches have one of the simplest approaches to run/walk intervals.
- First, select the Action key, navigate to To runand press the Until button.
- then select alertsafter add new.
- Lastly, select Run walk and set a time period for each of your intervals.
a useful YouTube Video of Avoiding Tasks demonstrate these steps.
The rugged outdoor watch can also handle race intervals. Here’s how to set them up:
- Paste GPSafter To runand hold the Menu button.
- then select Trainingafter intervalsafter Editfollowed by Intervaland finally Writes.
- Choose the Distance either Hour option and set the Duration. (Alternatively, choose the Opened option). Once everything is to your liking, press the button check mark button.
- To set your walking interval, press the button behind button select BreakY Writes. Choose your duration (or use the Opened option). Once everything looks correct, press the button check mark button.
YouTuber avoiding tasks shows how to perform these steps. Because there are so many Garmin watch models, yours may work a little differently. Please refer back to your instruction manual if you have questions about setting up interval runs.
Navigation at your intervals for a race
To run with intervals on most Forerunner watches, go to the To run screen, hold the Until and navigate to Training > intervals > do training. (An extra step to select between open replays either structured repetitions may also be necessary).
Select the interval workout you want, then press the button Beginning button to start. Just follow the directions to run or walk.
On fēnix watches, navigate to To run > Menu > Training > intervals > do training.
For Instinct watches, select GPS > To run > Menu. then tap Training > intervals > do training. Finally, press the GPS button again to start.
Setting intervals from the Garmin app
There is also the option to configure intervals from your Garmin Connect App.
- Open the app, then navigate to the More screen.
- Select Training and Planningafter training.
- Faucet create a workoutafter To run.
- Paste add stepthen tap on the extra run screen.
- From here, change the Step Type to Break and select the Duration.
- Once you have set both interval times, press the button add repeat so that the interval sets last for the duration of the race.
Send the workout to your watch using the smartphone button in the upper right corner of the screen. Next time you’re ready to work out, navigate to this new run on your watch in the my workouts screen.
Add interval runs to your Garmin watch in no time
When you’re ready for an interval run, let your watch do the hard part. By automating your Garmin watch’s run and walk breaks, you’ll be able to get an effective workout without wasting time looking at your watch. It’s one of the simplest ways to make your training a little easier and more efficient.