Shutting down or restarting your Pixel phone is easier than you think.
Over the years, smartphones have become more complex thanks to the large number of technological innovations they contain. Sometimes this ends up making a simple task much more complicated than it should be. Take the point of Google’s Pixel phones. In the past, you could turn them off with the power button, but that’s not the case anymore.
Depending on the Pixel phone you have, the restart or shutdown process will vary. This is because the power button is assigned to bring up the Google Assistant instead of the power menu on newer Google Pixel phones. So how do you turn off a Google Pixel phone? Find out in this guide.
How to turn off or restart the Google Pixel 5 and earlier Pixels
Shutting down the Pixel 5 and earlier Pixel phones running Android 11 or Android 12 is a relatively simple process.
- Press and hold the Power button for a few seconds on your Pixel.
- The power menu should appear on the screen. Select the Off option from here. To restart, select the Resume option.
A black screen will appear for a few seconds, after which your Pixel will shut down completely or restart, depending on the option selected.
How to turn off or restart the Google Pixel 7 and Pixel 6
Shutting down or restarting the Google Pixel 6 and Pixel 7 series is different from older Pixel phones. By default, you can’t turn off these devices by holding down the power button.
- Press and hold the Power and Volume Up buttons simultaneously on your Google Pixel phone.
- The power menu should appear.
- Tap on the Off option. If you want to restart your Pixel, tap on Resume However.
To turn your Pixel back on, press and hold the power button. Your phone will vibrate when the boot process begins.
You can modify the behavior of the power button on the Pixel 6 and Pixel 7 from the Settings menu.
- Open the settings menu on your Pixel 6 or Pixel 7.
- Scroll down and select System > Gestures. Tap on the Hold down the power button option.
- Select power menu.
Pressing and holding the power button on your Pixel will bring up the power menu, where you can quickly turn off, restart, or put the device in lockdown mode. Consider turning off the Google Assistant on your Android phone if you’re not a fan of the digital assistant.
How to turn off or restart your Google Pixel without using the power button
If the power button on your Pixel isn’t working, you can use the software-based power button to open the power menu and turn off or restart the device.
- Swipe down on your Pixel’s home screen to bring up the notification shade.
- Swipe again to expand the Quick Settings panel. You will see a software-based power button in the bottom right corner.
- Tap it to bring up the power menu. Select the Off either Resume option, depending on what you want.
How to restart your Google Pixel phone
You can try a hard reset if your Pixel is unresponsive and does not respond to any button input.
- Hold down the button Power button on your Pixel for at least 30 seconds.
- The screen will automatically turn black and your device will turn off. If it doesn’t turn on automatically, please press the power button again.
Check out the right way to set up your new Android phone if you’ve got a new Pixel phone and are still exploring all of its features.
explore your pixel
Shutting down or restarting a Google Pixel phone isn’t as easy as it should be. On the bright side, Google offers multiple options to turn off your phone, so if you’re not happy with one method, you can try the other option.