Trip(dot)com offers great discounts on travel-related services. Are you considering using them for an upcoming trip? Using the website to book flights, hotel reservations, car rentals, and more can help you save a lot of money, but will they add any real value to your long-awaited vacation?
What are the risks associated with booking travel-related services from Trip? How do people feel about the website? Are there other reliable alternatives?
What is Trip.com?
Founded in 1999, Trip is one of the longest-running companies in its industry. Whether you’re booking a flight with a favorite airline, looking for a hotel abroad, or renting a car, it offers just about everything you could possibly need on vacation. The best part is that all of this is available at a massively discounted price.
Being an international company, Trip covers almost all regions, with operations in almost 200 countries. Thanks to the extensive hotel network it has built and the flight network it has launched connecting 5,000 cities, Trip offers excellent discounts and deals. In addition, to meet the needs of global customers, the website supports nearly 44 languages.
Although the company has grown tremendously, you may still be wondering if it is legit and trustworthy.
Yes, Trip(dot)com is legit and not a scam. This is why:
- Trip(dot)com Group, a NASDAQ-listed company, owns this website.
- More than two decades in business suggests it’s not a shady company.
- Its extensive hotel and flight network suggests that other companies trust the company.
- The company currently has more than 45,000 employees, indicating that it is a well-established company.
So what are other customers saying about it?
What do people think about Trip.com?
The company has a rating of 3.7 out of 5 in trusted pilot. Although it looks pretty good, almost 26 percent of its reviews are one-star. Based on the number of reviews it has, more than 7,000 customers are dissatisfied.
However, after reviewing the reviews in more detail, it appears that most of the issues mentioned are related to services booked through the website, over which Trip had little control. Some people complained about dirty hotel rooms, airlines canceling flights at the last minute, or poor customer service from the hotels they booked.
Trip is not responsible for all those things, but the fault lies with the companies listed on the website. In other words, most negative reviews are not about the company causing the problem. However, some people have shared Trip(dot)com-specific issues. Some of them are:
- Since the customer service representatives are not native English speakers, the language barrier is a major concern.
- There is a slow response time from the company when it comes to handling complaints, which translates to more delays.
- The refund process takes a long time.
Unlike other companies, however, a Trip representative responded to more than 91% of negative reviews and instructed reviewers on how to resolve the issue and avoid it in the future. The company clearly cares about its reputation.
But why choose Trip instead of booking directly with the companies?
Here are some of the reasons why booking Trip(dot)com services is a good option:
- Compared to booking the same service directly from a company, travel deals are cheaper.
- There are numerous options for you to compare and choose from.
- You can book hotels and rentals abroad from the comfort of your home.
- From one website, you can plan your entire trip and manage your finances effectively.
- Trip claims to offer the best deals. If the same offer is available elsewhere for less, the website claims a refund of the difference.
The above reasons make Trip the best option, but you should follow some tips to book services wisely.
Tips for booking services wisely on the trip
Here are some tips to remember when booking services on Trip(dot)com:
- Read reviews from other customers who have used the same service through Trip.
- Check airline reviews outside of Trip(dot)com to determine how reliable they are. Don’t be afraid to pay more for reliable options.
- Do not book flights through the website in an emergency. Getting them directly from the airline will allow you to quickly reschedule in the event of a cancellation or delay.
- Refunds can take around a week or even longer depending on the situation. Make sure you have an extra budget in reserve to counteract that.
- Prepare a backup plan to deal with unforeseen circumstances.
- Please provide the customer support team with adequate details about your complaint so that it can be resolved quickly.
- Only book hotels and car rentals a few days before your vacation, so you don’t have to request multiple refunds if you change your plans.
If you prefer to speak to customer service over the phone, you can find contact information at Trip.com Help Page. Details vary by region and country, so please contact the relevant number for better assistance.
However, the easiest method is to contact Trip customer support via live chat. To connect with a representative:
- Visit the trip.com website.
- Click the headset icon (Service Chat) in the lower right corner.
- You will need to sign in, so if you haven’t already, please do so now.
- Choose the option you need help with.
- Submit any random question or inquiry when the Trip chatbot greets you. You can say, for example, “I’d like to speak to an agent.”
By following these steps, you can avoid the annoying chatbot and connect with a real person.
If you’ve had a bad experience with Trip or are concerned about negative reviews, there are plenty of other reliable options. The best alternatives to Trip include Booking(dot)com, Expedia and TripAdvisor.
However, an even better option would be to use specialized services. Airbnb, for example, can help you find affordable accommodation. Also, you can choose a well-known air ticket service and rental discounts. Despite the higher price, websites offering dedicated travel services can help you plan your trip better.
Another excellent option is to use local websites that offer services in a specific country; the best local websites in the UK, for example. In addition to being more reliable, you will find better deals there.
Make the most of your vacation
Those planning a vacation can find everything they need on Trip. However, it has some disadvantages. Hopefully, with some knowledge about choosing a deal on Trip(dot)com, you’ll soon be one of Trip’s many satisfied customers. And if the deals don’t appeal to you, just check out their alternatives.