Whether it’s Christmas, a birthday, or any other celebration, playing games to keep friends and family entertained is vital to a successful party.
We’ve rounded up a selection of the best free party game apps that are easy to set up and suitable for all ages, interests, and gatherings. From frantic fun with friends to games suitable for your grandparents, here are the seven best free party games available on both Android and iOS.
1. The 7-Second Challenge – Best for Hectic Fun
Based on the original game invented by YouTuber amazing philthe unofficial 7 Second Challenge app is available for free on the Android and iOS stores.
This free party game app invites participants to complete fun and wacky challenges in seven seconds. Challenges range from fairly ordinary (“Name three movies with sequels”) to more outlandish requests (“Give yourself a new hairdo”). You can also add your own challenges to customize the game.
You only need one device to play 7 Second Challenge with your friends. Once you’ve downloaded the app, follow these steps to get started:
- Tap Play to start a game.
- Tap Normal to play the free version.
- Enter the name of each player and touch the person icon to add
- Tap Play when all players have been added.
- Read the challenge out loud to the named player.
- Tap Begin to start the seven second countdown.
- Tap hits the spot either failuredepending on whether the player achieved the challenge in seven seconds or not.
See how many seven second rounds you can win against your friends.
2. UNO!: Best for an all-inclusive family environment
This free party game app lets you play a digital version of the classic family card game UNO! with real life friends. Each participant must download the app on their own device to play, but luckily the app is compatible with Android, iOS, and Facebook.
If you are new to UNO! then start with a few practice rounds. Tap I’m new! on the home screen to play a game with step by step instructions. This is a useful feature if you know how to play but don’t want to spend years trying to explain the rules to the whole family.
It’s easy to play UNO with friends and family at your party:
- Tap Play with friends.
- Tap create room to start your own private UNO game.
- Personalize your room by selecting your Total time, room mode, rules, special cardsY Privileges.
- Tap Create.
- Share your room identification with your friends and family, located at the top left of the screen.
- Once your friends and family have joined, tap Begin to start your UNO game.
If you’re a fan of classic games, check out these free online board game sites for more ideas.
3. PSYCH!: The best to fool friends
PSYCHOANALYZE! is a free party game app where the idea is to trick through trivia questions and outwit your friends. Each player submits their answer to each question (as silly as you want!) and then all entries are combined with the one correct answer. From the final selection, all players must guess which answer is correct.
After downloading the app, follow these steps to play PSYCH! together:
- Tap Start Game.
- tap on a platform to read the description.
- Tap Play in your chosen deck.
- Share the code on the screen with your friends. (They have to touch Join the game on their phones and enter this code).
- Lever play with elena to include or exclude Ellen Degeneres in your game.
- Tap on the number of rounds do you want to play.
- Tap Begin to start the game.
PSYCHOANALYZE! It can be a fun, no-nonsense game to play for anyone who enjoys a bit of banter.
4. Trivia 360 – Best for a post-dinner setting
If you’re looking for a free and quiet after-dinner party game to play with someone else, then try Trivia 360.
Trivia 360 is an easy to use quiz app that you can play alone or with a friend on Android and iOS. Just answer each question within a given time period and battle against your friend to become the champion of trivia knowledge.
Once you’ve downloaded the app and set up your profile, follow these steps to play Trivia 360 as a board game:
- Tap head to head.
- Tap Challenge friend.
- Tap on the link icon to copy and share your game link with friends.
- Tap Play next to your friend’s icon.
- Tap Begin to start the game and take your turn.
If you manage to exhaust all the trivia questions, check out these fun free online quiz sites to get the party going.
5. Warning!: Best For Loud, Loud Fun
If you feel energetic, then Attention! It’s the free party game app to hang out at your gathering. Holding your phone to your forehead for your teammates to see the answer, you have to guess the word displayed correctly from your teammates’ acting, singing, shouting and any other means to prove the answer to you.
You only need one copy of the app to play, so we recommend downloading Heads Up! on an Android device for a free version.
Follow these steps to start a game:
- tap on a platform to read the description.
- Tap Play! to choose the deck.
- Tap Turn on instant replays! if you want the app to record your teammates as they try to help you guess the answer.
- Alternatively, move up to play without instant replays.
- Place your phone on your forehead, with the screen facing your teammates.
- If you guess correctly from your friends’ clues, tilt your phone down to continue with the next question.
- If you can’t guess correctly, tilt your phone up happen.
Watching replays of your friends and family frantically trying to get you the answer adds to the hilarity of Heads Up!
6. Among Us: Best for late-night vibes
If you are looking for the juxtaposed combination of teamwork and betrayal, then you must play Among Us.
Playing in a team of up to 10, you and your crewmates must complete basic tasks to keep your ship running. However, a crew member is the impostor and will try to kill everyone on board. Crewmates must identify the imposter before the game ends.
Once you and your friends or family have downloaded the app, follow these steps to play Among Us:
- Check in or create an account.
- Pick a friend code touching the arrows icon to scroll through the suggested words. (Once set, this cannot be changed.)
- Tap Confirm and then close.
- Tap Local to play with your party friends.
- Tap create game.
- Tap personalize in the lower right corner to edit the settings.
- Ask your friends to enter your friend code to join your game.
Among Us can also be played with remote players by tapping Online on the main screen. You can also play Among Us on your Mac.
7. The New York Times Crossword: Best for including your grandparents
If you’re looking for a free party game app that will appeal to your grandparents, The New York Times Crossword is a sure bet. You can download a free seven-day trial of The Crossword, which is perfect for a one-off party or to cover up the festive season.
Choose between easy, medium and hard daily crosswords. You can also scroll through the archives to find past NYT crossword puzzles.
Sit down with your grandparents and follow these steps to play:
- Tap on your chosen crossword. The timer will start immediately.
- Tap on the left and right arrows at the bottom of the screen to scroll through the crossword clues.
- Use the on-screen keyboard to write your answers.
- tap on anyone square crossword to enter or edit your answer.
- Double tap on any square crossword to toggle between traverse and descending inputs.
You can also access Spelling Bee and the popular Wordle game within the app.
Have fun at any party with these free party game apps
The key to a good party is to keep it fun. The above free party game apps are suitable for all types of gatherings and different guests, and you can choose the appropriate game based on the party atmosphere.
The only potential problem with free party apps is ads, which can interrupt the flow of your gaming experience. Most of the time this can be overlooked, but if all else fails, you can’t win a game of charades at a party!